Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bridesmaid Canvas Tote Bag!

Hello! Wedding week continues with a post from the recent bride!!

As I was getting my gifts for my maids ready I decided I would try to decorate reusable tote bags instead of buying paper gift bags that would likely just get thrown away! And I'm a little obsessed with anything neon right now so this was the perfect project for me!

I bought the totes at Hobby Lobby. You can buy them individually or as a pack of three, I think it was maybe 7 dollars for the 3 pack, but I used the 40% off coupon they always have on their website so I saved a couple bucks.

I bought neon pink paint from Jo Ann Fabric. I think it was actually puff paint but I just squirted it into a bowl and painted it on. 
Since the bags were bundled up I started by ironing them so I had a nice flat surface to work with. I also put a piece of cardboard inside the bag to have a hard surface and so the paint wouldn't soak through. I used 2 different widths of tape: 2 wider pieces on the bottom and 2 skinnier pieces along the top. I also taped around the handles so they didn't get paint on them. 

I had a ruler next to the bag to have a loose guideline to follow, but I wasn't worried about perfectly spacing the lines or keeping them perfectly straight.

I printed the letters in a large font on sticker printer paper, cut them out and 
stuck them to the bag.
I only used one coat of paint and I put on a pretty thin layer, I didn't want it to bleed through the tape or through the paper letter.
I made one for each of my maids, with their first initial. I love how they turned out. The gifts fit perfectly inside. Hopefully the girls will reuse them this summer :)

 My cat really loved them too :)

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable! Love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great personalized gift for your bridesmaids and most girls I know LOVE pink ;) Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! And useful, and personal, and thoughtful...way better than some bridesmaids gifts I've gotten! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete