Sunday, February 12, 2012

ABC Artwork

I wanted more artwork for the playroom and originally wanted to for the 3rd time re-do the cardboard ABCs I had in my son's room. (Which originally were bright red, blue and yellow for Little Man's Dr. Seuss first birthday!!!) After realizing how much work I had already put into that set, I decided to just buy a new set and keep them original set matching Little Man's room!

So I again painted a red A, blue B and yellow C. I tried and tried to think of something that started with the letter A to cover the A but I could NOT think of anything --- so if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE let me know!!!

SO I covered the A in fabulous thick red yarn, the B in buttons and the C in Crayons! I was surprised how long each letter ACTUALLY took!!!

The A was easy but it just took more time than I thought it would. After hot gluing a tiny piece to the back, I started wrapping the right side of the bottom of the A. The perpendicular parts of the A I just cut small pieces and glued several rows of yarn and covered up the rough edges with the main run of yarn. Sorry for the horrible pictures!!


Example of what I did for the top. And then just covered up the edges later.


The B was probably the easiest! I just glued a ton of buttons on my B with hot glue!! (My first time using my new hot glue gun with the "low" setting and (YEAH) I did not burn my fingers this time!!!!!!! ) In some sports I added 2 layers of buttons for some extra details! Super easy!


The C was easy enough but cutting the crayons was a bit challenging. I found that warming my sharp pairing knife up with hot water worked best and using the back part of the blade (closer to the handle) allowed more force to snap the crayons in half. I had a problem with ripping paper but it got easier as I went a long. I eye-balled where to cut the crayons. Once cut, I just glued them on! The easy part!!!



I am happy with how each turned out. I was hoping to put them on these painted shelves I have in the play room but they are heavier than I thought they would be so they need to be on a flat surface (that my cheap shelves do NOT provide!)



I made the bunting in the background! I will post that later. I am sort of obsessed with bunting lately!!!


Little man is going to love them!! He is very into the alphabet right now!!!

19 comments:

  1. Adorable! What if you cut an apple in half and did apple stamps on it? Or my husband suggested argyle (sp?). Hmm...I am going to keep thinking about that one. Adorable idea though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh those are both good suggestions!! I kept going back to apples but those would not work so well, but the stamps would! Thanks for the suggestions!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, we are obsessed with bunting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SOOO cute!! I made 3 more strands for the play room but I am having trouble hanging it without it feeling strange and out of place... :)

      Delete
  3. Very cute! ... Hope you have a chance to stop by the party today. You were featured! ... Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute idea! I bet my little one's teacher would love that in their room! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever and really, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute! They go perfect with your banner!

    Would love for you to post and share it with my readers on my web site!
    Susan,
    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/
    A community to Create - Share - Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really cute. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome, but I especially love the buttons. Too cute. Saw your link on It's Overflowing! :-)

    Erin at takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very cool! Where did you get the letters? My favorite is the crayon one. So fun! I am a new Twitter follower visiting from Whipperberry. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! and thanks for the follow!! The letters are from Joann's! They are the their smaller cardboard letters.

      Delete
  10. Excuse me, what?! I this post from the linky party at Sassy Sites. I am in love! I just made a set of yarn letters, but now the possibilities seem endless! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Amy {aprons & ambition}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I know there are so many options!!! Legos... matchbox cars... so many things.... I just could not think of anything else for the A but the yarn :)

      Delete
  11. Adorable!! I love each of them! I'm bunting obsessed too. I just strung some all over our playroom. :) I love the yarn A! No need to change it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute stuff! Love the letters and the bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh I love how the letters turned out!!! I'd love to have you share this with our readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays link up! http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/fun-stuff-fridays-11.html

    ReplyDelete