Thursday, February 2, 2012

Little Man Car Shirt


While shopping online I found a child's shirt that held 8 little matchbox sized cars that was around $38! It was so simple and I figured with my limited sewing knowledge I could easily re-creative the look. Here is the original.

I started by making a template out of paper to make sure it would fit 4 cars across and still fit on the t-shirt I purchased from Target.

I ended up leaving 1/2 inch seam allowances on each side, and the bottom and then left 2 inches for each car, so my pocket was 9 inches long by 3 inches wide.


I then cut my fabric with extra for creating the folded behind pocket.

I sewed the top portion of the pocket twice for something different.


Once the top was finisihed I pinned the entire pocket to the size of my template card.


The first pocket I pinned I pinned the pocket on the wring side (the side that was placed on the t-shirt, so it was hard to remove the pins as I sewed, so I learned for the second pocket to pin on the right side!!)

I then pinned the pocket to the t-shirt and sewed around the sides and bottom of the pocket. Again I did a second row of sewing because I liked the look.

Then I sewed every two inches on the pocket to create the 4 smaller pockets for the car. And then repeated for the second pocket.

I then used my Silhouette Cameo and cut out "Liam's Cars" onto the Heat Transfer material. I REALLY had to iron this on and I hope it handles the wash...

The shirt is even fun to play with while not on!
Getting a two year old to pose for a picture is very difficult! I believe he was into a Curious George episode while these were taken....




6 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Thanks so much for linking up!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The shirt is super cute on and he LOVES having his cars so close!!

      Delete
  2. That's SO stinkin cute! Love it! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While shopping online I found a child's shirt that held 8 little matchbox sized cars that was around $38! It was so simple and I figured with my ... ematchbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete