Wednesday, March 7, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Onesie Vest and Bow Tie


I am on my 3rd try on this project! And it's going to work this time, right? My fails first!!

My first try! I made my vest sides - even sewed a nice white liner on the back! BUT my template was way off and these don't fit on a onesie. I am still trying to figure out something to do with these. I could try and turn them into an actual vest...

V2, I again lined my vest and this time we made it past the is it going to fit the onesie. It did! BUT I had a major fail on the sewing it to the onesie phase.... It was looking SO horrible!!

I even made a fake pocket for this one!
And THIS is what happens to a onesie when you try and remove the stitching. (Or at least what happens to me when I try and remove the stitching!!!)

So 3rd time is the charm, right? So this time I did NOT line my vest. I spent a significant amount of time creating my template for my vest. I used the onesies as a pattern. This time I used my new favorite friend - Wonder Under. I ironed the material using the directions on the package and then traced my template and cut it out!

My two sides of the vest....
The most important part.... is it going to fit on the onesie.... IT DOES!!! V1 passed!
Then I ironed the pieces together. And it still all fit together so well!!

I then debated for a while if I should attempt to sew the outline of this again.... Since it was working out, I did not want to ruin yet another....

I ended up sewing around the boarder of the vest. I took my time and was very slow and it worked this time!! You can't REALLY see this in the picture, but its there!! And it looks fabulous. I started to sew on 3 buttons, but decided that since this was for a newborn, I did not want to risk the button falling off...... so no buttons!
I then made and attached a Little Man Bow Tie to the top of the onesies.

Seriously can you believe it took my THAT long to make this onesie!!! But I love it and am so happy with how it turned out!!! This one is actually a gift, so I do still have to figure out if I am going to make my little man one like this or try and fix / use version 1!!


13 comments:

  1. This is so cute! You have to share pictures of him in it! I'd love it if you linked this up at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared this at Whimsy Wednesday at The NY Melrose Family. I can't wait to see what you'll link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny for the comments and for hosting the linky party!

      Delete
  3. This is SO cute! Found you via Tutus & Tea Parties link up! :)

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!! I LOVE it! Pinning it:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously...the cutest onesie ever! Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your tries were worth it! Looks great. Visiting via Cherished Bliss. Hope to see you around www.bearrabbitbear.com soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! oops, I see meg said the same thing. :) This st patrick's onsie is tooo cute!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to pop back in and let you know you were featured at this week's party! http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/03/pinteresting-party-week-31.html Thank you for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE this!!

    Thanks for sharing @'Sew Cute Tuesday'.
    I'll be featuring you tomorrow, so be sure
    to stop by and grab a 'featured' button!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The onesie is so perfect for formal functions and the baby needs to be in a formal suit, too! Haha. Way too adorable.
    newborn gift

    ReplyDelete
  11. BUT my template was way off and these don't fit on a onesie. ... eonesie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete