Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sewed Ribbon Chevron Pillow

I added to my home decor my first chevron piece! I created a chevron pillow with fabric and white grosgrain ribbon and I love how it turned out!

chevron ribbon pillowI was not sure how long this would take to make and it was my second project with my new sewing machine that I am still trying to figure out. It took less than 2 hours and would have taken less had I not had issues with my sewing machine (still not sure if its the machine or user error :) )

My pillow ended up being a 16 x 16 inch square pillow.

I first started by measuring and marking my ribbon every 4 inches, to account for the seam allowance I did the first one in 4.25 inches - which I really would not have had to do, but I did. (Do you like my snowman PJs in the picture :) )



chevron ribbon pillow
I decided to sew the ribbon every 2 inches for a total of 8 rows.

For my first row I used tape to mark the top and to mark the bottom (I added an extra .5 inches on the bottom again for seam allowance.) For the remaining rows I did not use the tape as it was not necessary and made the edges tear a bit.


chevron ribbon pillow
Originally with adding the tape I thought I would not have to pin the ribbon, but after I started putting it together I found the tape was not needed, but the pins were a must! Much easier!



chevron ribbon pillow

Time to sew! I sewed right down the middle of the ribbon (or as close to center as possible! - I'm a new sewer!!)



chevron ribbon pillow

For the second plus rows, I used my acrylic ruler and placed it 2 inches above the starting point of the first line and sort of eyeballed where the ribbon should go, using the first row for the bottom points. I found it worked best to pin a row and sew it before pinning the next row.



chevron ribbon pillow

More sewing! I found the easiest way to sew the angle change was to make sure the needle was down in the fabric, lift the foot up and turn the fabric with the needle down in the fabric. I am sure this is a basic sewing concept, but I am a new sewer!



chevron ribbon pillow
8 rows later, the front of the pillow is complete!



chevron ribbon pillow

I then sewed a basic envelope pillow.



chevron ribbon pillow

Finished product! Love it in person!!

chevron ribbon pillow
chevron ribbon pillowIt looks great in my master bedroom. Here it's sitting on top of the first pillows I made with my new sewing machine. I might make too many pillows.... can you have too many pillows?

chevron ribbon pillow chevron ribbon pillow 
Visit thecsiproject.com

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love this pillow! I would love for you to share it at our linky party!

    http://www.ourdiydiaries.com/2012/01/fab-not-drab.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use ribbon!

    Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! What a great outcome....thanks for sharing the cool tutorial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the nice comments!! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete